[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython logo

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Jul 25 19:51:09 EDT 2003

On Friday, Jul 25, 2003, at 18:07 America/New_York, Jack Jansen wrote:

> Let's please take the logo discussion to a different thread, so it
> doesn't overwhelm
> the rest of the website discussion.
>
> On vrijdag, jul 25, 2003, at 23:45 Europe/Amsterdam, Bob Ippolito
> wrote:
>
>> I don't think that strange typography ( re: http://www.python.org/ )
>> would work, what would you suggest as an alternative?  What's wrong
>> with the snake?  Windows has the snake, pygame has a snake :)
>
> The strange typography has one showstopper problem for me: you can't
> use it for the program
> icon. We need something that can be used on the website, the program
> icon and all sorts
> of related icons (documents, helper apps) and probably more eventually
> (installer backdrop,
> etc).

Exactly, and I don't think most of them are aesthetically pleasing
anyways, other than the "cloud" one on the front page, I like that one.

> *If* we go for something snake-y I insist it be an "Apple Snake", i.e.
> something that
> looks like a real snake, or real snakeskin, or some such. The 4-color
> Windows snake is
> simply too ugly for words.

I agree completely.  The pygame guys didn't do a terrible job.. the OS
X icon I made out if looked pretty decent as an icon:
http://cvs.seul.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb-1.80.cgi/~checkout~/games/pygame/
lib/pygame_icon.tiff?rev=1.1&content-type=image/tiff

> I agree that the current cartoon-weight has had it's time. I think my
> preference would
> be to update it to an "Apple 16 Tonne weight", if you get my drift,
> but I'm open to any good design (and, as always, I'll defer to the
> majority anyway).

I'm partial to snakey things.  I'm not Dutch enough to still readily
associate Python with the Monty variety ;)

> Note that the fact that the connection to Python is thin for many
> people isn't necessarily a problem: it's more important that it's used
> consistently. After all, what's the connection between Tcl/Tk and a
> quill? Photoshop Elements and a sunflower? Retrospect and a cube?

Well, nobody said Tcl/Tk's icon was any good for OS X (and besides, Tk
doesn't work NEARLY as well as it could on OS X.. I can't imagine
there's a really large userbase for it).. IMHO, the current 16 ton
weight is way better, at least you know what it is when it's small.
Nobody ever said Adobe was any good at HIG compliance -- I mean, look
at Acrobat Reader, and that comes with OS X.  Photoshop Elements and
Retrospect are probably just bad examples.  Almost all of Apple's icons
make sense, Virtual PC makes sense, the Hydra icon makes sense, etc.