[Pythonmac-SIG] Jaguar Macho Build woes

Stephen R. Figgins fig@monitor.net
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:06:14 -0500

On 9/27/02 3:35 AM, "Michael Hudson" <mwh@python.net> wrote:

> This is awfully hard to diagnose.  What happens when setup.py tries to
> build _socket?

It didn't even try.  The default modules/Setup file didn't say to build it.
You have two options in that file, you can do plain sockets or support SSL.
Enabling either of those you will run into some build problems though with
missing symbols when you go to make python.  You need to include the
libcrypt or libssl libraries, to build SSL support and something else for
IPV6, which I wasn't sure about.  I ended up configuring Python without IPV6
support (--disable ipv6) since I didn't need it and couldn't figure out the
right command to search my library files for the missing symbols.

I wasn't exactly sure how to put -lssl and -lcrypt into the make command to
build the modules either, so I just ran the  command manually where make
bombed out, then resumed make.

-Stephen