[Pythonmac-SIG] Jaguar Macho Build woes

Russell E Owen owen@astro.washington.edu
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 09:57:26 -0600

At 9:35 AM +0100 9/27/02, Michael Hudson wrote:
>Russell E Owen <owen@astro.washington.edu> writes:
>
>>  Stephen R. Figgins <fig@monitor.net> wrote:
>>  >I am following Tony Lownds instructions for Macho Python + Tkinter and
>>  >compiling on Jaguar...I am missing some shared object files.  Most
>>  >importantly, _socket.
>>
>>  I'm seeing the same thing. I did the standard unix build (after
>>  installing ReadLines 4.2 and Tcl/Tk 8.something (3 or 4, I don't
>>  recall which at the moment). It all seemed to build OK, though I may
>>  have missed some error messages. The result seems just fine except no
>>  _socket. I have no idea how to fix it.
>
>This is awfully hard to diagnose.  What happens when setup.py tries to
>build _socket?

I didn't save the output from my build, so I have no idea--I didn't
realize anything had gone wrong until I tried to use the socket
module and it failed to import with an error that _socket did not
exist.

However, Stephen R. Figgins sent me the explanation of what's wrong
and how to fix it. I suspect he also sent it to MacPython (I get the
digest and so may not have seen it yet), but if not, I'll try to get
permission to do so.

-- Russell