[Pythonmac-SIG] Jaguar Macho Build woes

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
28 Sep 2002 12:01:23 +0100

"Stephen R. Figgins" <fig@monitor.net> writes:

> On 9/27/02 3:35 AM, "Michael Hudson" <mwh@python.net> wrote:
> >
> > This is awfully hard to diagnose.  What happens when setup.py tries to
> > build _socket?
>
> It didn't even try.  The default modules/Setup file didn't say to build it.

I'm guessing you don't quite understand how extension modules are
built any more?

setup.py (note: NOT Modules/Setup) certainly should try to build
_socket...

> You have two options in that file, you can do plain sockets or support SSL.
> Enabling either of those you will run into some build problems though with
> missing symbols when you go to make python.  You need to include the
> libcrypt or libssl libraries, to build SSL support and something else for
> IPV6, which I wasn't sure about.  I ended up configuring Python without IPV6
> support (--disable ipv6) since I didn't need it and couldn't figure out the
> right command to search my library files for the missing symbols.

This should be fixed in CVS (both HEAD and release22-maint).

> I wasn't exactly sure how to put -lssl and -lcrypt into the make command to
> build the modules either, so I just ran the  command manually where make
> bombed out, then resumed make.

This is a new one on me; I've not heard of ssl problems before.

Cheers,
M.

--
  (Unfortunately, while you get Tom Baker saying "then we
   were attacked by monsters", he doesn't flash and make