[Pythonmac-SIG] installing modules

Andrew Flaus a.flaus@dundee.ac.uk
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:47:01 +0100

Hi

I've just installed macpython 1.5.2b1 on an iMac.

As a first exercise, I am trying to complete a little task which would be
immensely aided by Hinsen's 'ScientificPython 2.0' modules (available from
starship). Unfortunately I am having trouble making these functional and
there doesn't seem to be any mac-specific simpleton's documentation or FAQ:

1. Even after editing sys.path to include the path, re-running the configure
application and restarting Python, the interpreter resolutely refuses to see
the modules at all.

2. If I transfer a .py file, say xxx.py, into one of the functional modules
(e.g. Numeric), I can import it and it compiles to xxx.pyc. However, when I
do dir(xxx) I get only 4 "underscored" (i.e. _yyy_) entries in the list and
the commands the modules provide are not recognised.

I'm sure its straightforward but can someone please tell me what I'm doing
wrong here.

In exchange, I'd be happy to write up the explanation and contribute it plus
some of the real newbie things I had to discover to an Macpython FAQ or
hints page.

Thanks.

Andrew.