[Pythonmac-SIG] [off] Get Python Version & Installed Modules?

Joseph J. Strout joe@strout.net
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 12:47:06 -0700

At 1:54 PM -0400 08/19/99, Richard Gordon wrote:

>The story is that my virtual host, www.communitech.com, does offer
>python on Solaris, but it can only run as a cgi. They've disabled
>interactive mode and you basically can't do anything with python
>from the command line in telnet

If possible, I suggest you dump them and switch to dreamhost.com,
which is much more reasonable.  It will be a hassle to switch, but if
you're going to do much Python CGI, it will be well worth it to be
able to run and test your code interactively.

>Finally, my experience with Communitech's tech support has not been
>good regarding python and it appears that no one there actually
>knows much about it, thus I am trying to figure this out on my own.
>Any help is appreciated.

Another reason to switch.  I switched for the same reason (well,
worse; web2010 are a bunch of perl-heads and refused to even install
Python for me) -- it was a nuisance, but it was worth it.

Good luck,
-- Joe

|    Joseph J. Strout           Biocomputing -- The Salk Institute |
|    joe@strout.net             http://www.strout.net              |