[Pythonmac-SIG] [off] Get Python Version & Installed Modules?

Richard Gordon maccgi@bellsouth.net
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 13:54:25 -0400

This isn't really a Mac Python question, but maybe one of you guys
will know the answer and help me get unstuck anyway.

The story is that my virtual host, www.communitech.com, does offer
python on Solaris, but it can only run as a cgi. They've disabled
interactive mode and you basically can't do anything with python from
the command line in telnet (unlike perl, which they let run in
telnet- go figure). Anyway, this makes python a bit awkward to deal
with and it would be very useful if there are any trick methods for
determining the exact version that's running (i know it's
1.5-something, but lacking interactive accesss, I don't know exactly)
and the modules that are installed (maybe including any in
site_python?). The idea would be to run this as a cgi and spit the
results out into my browser.

I guess I could try to run a script that climbed the appropriate part
of the tree, but they've also got things set up so that I don't have
access to anything outside of my home directory, so I'm not sure if
that will work. What I'm hoping is that python has a builtin that
will return this information magically.

Finally, my experience with Communitech's tech support has not been
good regarding python and it appears that no one there actually knows
much about it, thus I am trying to figure this out on my own. Any
help is appreciated.

Richard Gordon
Gordon Consulting & Design
Database Design/Scripting Languages