[Pythonmac-SIG] [off] Get Python Version & Installed Modules?

Richard Gordon maccgi@bellsouth.net
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 16:51:52 -0400

At 12:47 -0700 08/19/1999, Joseph J. Strout wrote:
>If possible, I suggest you dump them and switch to dreamhost.com,
>which is much more reasonable.  It will be a hassle to switch, but
>if you're going to do much Python CGI, it will be well worth it to
>be able to run and test your code interactively.

I would, but communitech is too good a deal otherwise (350 MB,
unlimited transfer, telnet, cgi, MySQL, Excite, Real, etc., for
$20/mo.).

>Another reason to switch.  I switched for the same reason (well,
>worse; web2010 are a bunch of perl-heads and refused to even install
>Python for me) -- it was a nuisance, but it was worth it.

I haven't actually asked them to un-cripple python for me, so maybe I
should at least request that.

Even if I was just using MacPython on my machine, I don't know of a
way to build a list of installed modules other than by scanning the
directory. Is there any kind of method (or maybe even a module?) that
just tells you which modules are available in a particular
installation? Thanks.

Richard Gordon
Gordon Consulting & Design
Database Design/Scripting Languages