[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Python and Alpha?

Rob Managan managan@llnl.gov
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 13:06:47 +0100

John,

On 9/16 Bill Bedford mailto:billb@mousa.demon.co.uk posted a preliminary
python mode. I have attached what I am currently using.(only to John
directly). It would be nice to be able to set up a menu like with
CodeWarrior to send the current window to Python as a script to run. I
don't know if the Python apps support that yet.

The mode file could use a mark routine that strips off the arguments of a
function so they don't show up in the popup menu.

>I was wondering if anyone had created a Python mode for Alpha.  If you
>haven't heard of Alpha, I strongly suggest  you check it out at
>http://www.cs.umd.edu/~keleher/alpha.html.  It's a very powerful Mac text
>editor that is completely customizable using Tcl.  It has various modes for
>C++, HTML, etc., which it uses for syntax coloring and so on.  So I wanted
>to find one for Python.
>
>I also wanted to find out if anyone has looked at adding a simple DoScript
>AppleEvent to the Python shell.  You can send an MPW script to ToolSever in
>a DoScript event and it then returns the shell's response.  With this
>functionality it's possible to create a simple shell inside Alpha that
>would send scripts to Python and would give you much better editing
>capabilities while using Python in interactive mode.
>
>John

Rob Managan               managan@llnl.gov
LLNL                      ph:  510-423-0903
P.O. Box 808, L-178       FAX: 510-423-5804
Livermore, CA  94551-0808