Question(s)

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 07:51:20 EDT 2023

On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 6:20 AM Chris Angelico via Python-list
<python-list at python.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Oct 2023 at 21:46, o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > 2. Catch the failure as you save. We have a lot of tools that can help
> > > you to spot bugs.
> >
> > Tools like this for python please.
>
> Various ones. Type checkers like MyPy fall into this category if you
> set your system up to run them when you save. Some editors do basic
> syntax checks too.

I have been using geany as a plain text editor for some time. Searching for
suggestions for error checking in python I find listed Pylint,
Pyflakes and Pycodestyle.

Looks like I have another area to investigate. (grin!)

> > > 3. Catch the failure before you commit and push. Unit tests are great for this.
> >
> > Where might I find such please.
>
> The same tools, but run as a pre-commit hook.
>
> Any tool that can help you find bugs has the potential to be of value.
> It's all a question of how much time it saves with earlier detection
> of bugs versus how much it costs you in pacifying the tool. Some are
> better than others.

Any suggestions?

TIA