Question(s)

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 11:17:34 EDT 2023

On 10/25/23 05:51, o1bigtenor via Python-list wrote:
> Looks like I have another area to investigate. (grin!)
> Any suggestions?

Seems to me you're trying to run before you have learned to walk.

Slow down, go to the beginning and just learn python, write some code,
see if it runs.  Go through the tutorial at
https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/index.html

Your first and most basic tool is the python interpreter.  It will tell
you when you try to run your code if you have syntax errors.  It's true
that some errors the linters will catch won't show up as syntax errors,
but cross the bridge when you get to it.  Once you have a basic grasp of
Python syntax, you can begin using some of the tools Python has for
organizing code: Functions and modules (eventually packages).
Eventually when your logic is placed neatly into functions, you can then
write other python programs that import those functions and feed
different parameters to them and test that the output is what you
expect. That is known as a test.

Nothing wrong with geany as an editor.  However, you might find the
Python Idle IDE useful (it usually installs with Python), as it lets you
work more interactively with your code, inspecting and interacting with
live python objects in memory.  It also integrates debugging
functionality to let you step through your code one line at a time and
watch variables and how they change.

When you encounter isses with your code (syntax or logical) that you
can't solve, you can come to the list, show your code and the full
output of the interpreter that shows the complete error message and back
trace and I think you'll get a lot of helpful responses.