HTTP server benchmarking/load testing in Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 12:57:58 EST 2023

On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 at 04:31, Thomas Passin <list1 at tompassin.net> wrote:

> > On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 at 03:34, Thomas Passin <list1 at tompassin.net> wrote:
> >> A nice theory but nothing to do with the real world.  I've had a number
> >> of laptops that overheat (or would, if I let test program continue)
> >> running this test program.
> >
> > Define "overheat". If all you're saying is "the fan began to whine and
> > I got annoyed so I shut off the program", that is absolutely NOT
> > overheating.
>
> CPU core temperatures up to 95 deg C and rising rapidly, as reported by
> a number of utilities including NZXT and CoreTemp.  Max junction
> temperature is given as 100 deg C, and I don't want to risk reducing the
> lifetime of my  CPU.
>
> Maybe five or ten minutes at or above 100 deg C every few months might
> not make a noticeable lifetime difference, who knows?  I don't want to
> make a habit of it.  I wouldn't drive my car very long with a low oil
> pressure warning active, either.

Did you get a warning, or did you just decide to stop the test?

Did you continue the test and see what would happen?

Did you, when the temperature got up to 95°, check what the CPU's
clock frequency was? The easiest way to recognize thermal throttling
is a reduction in frequency while at 100% utilization.

Or did you just assume that, with a mere five degree buffer and your
own personal analysis, that the CPU was just seconds away from total
destruction?

ChrisA