HTTP server benchmarking/load testing in Python

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Thu Jan 26 14:53:07 EST 2023

On 1/26/2023 12:57 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 at 04:31, Thomas Passin <list1 at tompassin.net> wrote:

>>> Define "overheat". If all you're saying is "the fan began to whine and
>>> I got annoyed so I shut off the program", that is absolutely NOT
>>> overheating.
>>
>> CPU core temperatures up to 95 deg C and rising rapidly, as reported by
>> a number of utilities including NZXT and CoreTemp.  Max junction
>> temperature is given as 100 deg C, and I don't want to risk reducing the
>> lifetime of my  CPU.
>>
>> Maybe five or ten minutes at or above 100 deg C every few months might
>> not make a noticeable lifetime difference, who knows?  I don't want to
>> make a habit of it.  I wouldn't drive my car very long with a low oil
>> pressure warning active, either.
>
> Did you get a warning, or did you just decide to stop the test?

(At least) one of the utilities, I forget which one, did show the
temperature in a danger zone.

> Did you continue the test and see what would happen?

No, why would I?  Would you go up to the edge of a cliff, past the
warning signs, and when the ground started to crumble take another step
to see if it would really collapse?

> Did you, when the temperature got up to 95°, check what the CPU's
> clock frequency was? The easiest way to recognize thermal throttling
> is a reduction in frequency while at 100% utilization.

No, there was no point.  Maybe it would have throttled, maybe no damage
would have occurred.  But doing so would not have accomplished anything,
since I already had the throughput numbers I needed and the purpose of
the test was not to see how hard I could drive the system before
hardware failure.  I'll leave that to Tom's Hardware or some gamers' site.

> Or did you just assume that, with a mere five degree buffer and your
> own personal analysis, that the CPU was just seconds away from total
> destruction?

To quote myself from my last message: