TypeError: can only concatenate str (not "int") to str

Alan Gauld learn2program at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 04:14:51 EST 2023

On 26/02/2023 00:54, Greg Ewing via Python-list wrote:
> On 26/02/23 10:53 am, Paul Rubin wrote:
>> I'm not on either list but the purpose of the tutor list is to shunt
>> beginner questions away from the main list.

I'm not sure that's why we set it up but it is
certainly a large part of our remit. But protecting newbies
from overly complex responses and covering wider topics
(beyond pure Pyhon) is also a large part of our purpose.

> There's a fundamental problem with tutor lists. They rely on
> experienced people, the ones capable of answering the questions,
> to go out of their way to read the tutor list -- something that
> is not of personal benefit to them.

In practice, the "tutors" tend to be split between folks
who inhabit both lists and those who only interact on the tutor
list. eg. I lurk here and only occasionally partake.

But the problem with this particular thread is that, if directed
to the tutor list, the OP would simply be told that "that's the
way Python works". The tutor list is not for discussing
language enhancements etc. It is purely about answering questions
on how to use the language (and standard library) as it exists.
(We also cover beginner questions about programming in general.)

So this thread is most definitely in the right place IMHO.

--
Alan G
Tutor list moderator