TypeError: can only concatenate str (not "int") to str

avi.e.gross at gmail.com avi.e.gross at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 12:34:10 EST 2023

Alan,

Good tack. By not welcoming someone who is paranoid about being welcomed you
are clearly the right kind of welcoming!

Kidding aside, you have a point about one of the barrage of messages
probably not getting a great answer on your tutor forum. It is the MANY
messages often about fairly simple aspects of python, taken together, that
lead to the conclusion that this person is fairly new to python and still
thinking about things from a lifetime of experience using other languages.

I will say that at this point, it does not matter where they post as I
cannot imagine anyone having to pay them $1,000/hour for the privilege of
trying to tutor them.

There are topics raised that can be informative and lead to good discussions
amicably and as far as I can tell, many agree it would be nice if some
"error" messages provided more detail and perhaps some eventually will. But
as has been pointed out, these messages are only a small part of the python
environment and lots of other tools are typically used to debug that do
allow access to all kinds of details at breakpoints.

I think many would be satisfied with some of the answers provided here and
note, FEW OR NONE OF US here (or am I wrong) are necessarily in a position
to make changes like this to the current or next versions of python. We are
all users who take what we get and work with it or look for a way around
things. The example used did not strike me as hard to figure out which of
X/Y was an int/str and what their values were. More time is wasted demanding
and debating a feature that is not there rather than solving the problem in
other ways.

In the interest of civility, I find removing myself sometimes works well. We
are volunteers and I don't need to volunteer to help any particular person
who does not seem to appreciate it. And if a forum fills up with nonsense so
the signal is hard to find amid the noise, why bother contributing?

Avi