Request for assistance (hopefully not OT)

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Wed May 18 02:02:30 EDT 2022

> On Wed, 18 May 2022 at 04:05, Loris Bennett <loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>>
>> [snip (26 lines)]
>>
>> > I think you had a problem before that.  Debian testing is not an
>> > operating system you should be using if you have a fairly good
>> > understanding of how Debian (or Linux in general) works.
>>
>> Should be
>>
>>   I think you had a problem before that.  Debian testing is not an
>>   operating system you should be using *unless* you have a fairly good
>>   understanding of how Debian (or Linux in general) works.
>>
>> [snip (62 lines)]
>>

> Oh! My bad, didn't see this correction, sorry. With this adjustment,
> the comment is a bit more reasonable, although I'd still say it's
> generally fine to run Debian Testing on a personal desktop machine;
> there are a number of distros that base themselves on Testing.
>
> But yes, "unless" makes much more sense there.

It's lucky I never got "if" and "unless" mixed up when I used to program
in Perl ;-)

Yes, there are a number of distros based on Debian Testing, but those
tend to be aimed more at sysadmins (e.g. Kali and Grml) than people just
starting out with Linux.  However, with plain old Debian Testing you
need to be able to deal with things occasionally not working properly.
As the Debian people say about Testing: "If it doesn't work for you,
then there's a good chance it's broken."  And that's even before you
delete part of the OS with 'rm'.

Cheers,

Loris