Fwd: Installation hell

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Mon Dec 19 16:54:18 EST 2022

On 12/19/2022 3:34 PM, j wrote:
> I was unclear. I use the full path to the folder with the unzipped
> python-embedded. I shouldn't have said 'set'.
>
> I have complained on here before about broken installs but got
> indifference. An installer should install stuff correctly (leaving a
> working environment). If it won't then give clear instructions on how to
> install manually then let us do it. A broken installer is like a road
> that just runs out.

Yes, I've had a few of those, just not with Python so far.  One problem
with a list like this is that if other people don't have the problem or
can't make it happen, then they don't have any suggestions based on
personal experience.  So they can't be helpful.  In this issue, I'm in
that category.

In that situation, we (the list-people, I mean) need good information to
have a chance of being helpful.  But I've observed that many requestors
for help like this - especially installation issues - don't provide any
useful particulars.  That makes it seem like they don't understand what
they are doing, and folks would like them to do their homework and think
about what it would take for other people to have a chance of helping.

Would you try to cook a meal, and then say "I followed the recipe and it
didn't work, please help"?  It's impossible.  But I've seen this kind of
question over and over on this list.

I did once have a Python installation problem.  The installed Python
executable worked, but later I ran into some permissions problem.  I had
installed for "everyone", so it installed into Program Files, and
apparently somewhere along the way I had done something odd to the
permissions for that directory.  I was never sure what.  I uninstalled,
and since then I have always installed new versions for just one user
(me). Never a problem since.

I'm sorry to say that I have never tried an embedded install, and I
don't know what's different about one.  Maybe I'll try one now, just to
know.

> Dismissals about 'lazy people' (for example) aren't helpful if you are
> trying to get some actual work done.

Yes, that's true. Lack of clear information isn't helpful, either.

Well this is getting too long, and not directly helping with any of your
problems.  I hope it may be informative for others who want to ask for
help. To be able to help someone, I have to understand just what they
were trying to do, what they did, what happened that caused them to
think their efforts failed, and what error messages the system emitted.
That may not be enough either, but it's a required starting point.
Without this kind of information, people who want to help feel frustrated.