Fwd: Installation hell

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Mon Dec 19 15:47:42 EST 2022

On 12/19/22 13:34, j via Python-list wrote:
> I was unclear. I use the full path to the folder with the unzipped
> python-embedded. I shouldn't have said 'set'.
>
> I have complained on here before about broken installs but got
> indifference. An installer should install stuff correctly (leaving a
> working environment). If it won't then give clear instructions on how to
> install manually then let us do it. A broken installer is like a road
> that just runs out.
>
> Dismissals about 'lazy people' (for example) aren't helpful if you are
> trying to get some actual work done.
>
> jan

I don't think there was an intent to be dismissive, just to point out
that this list, and the tutor list, and other places *do* get questions
from people who haven't tried very much, and don't tell their readers
what they've tried, jrather ust go "it's broken, please fix it for me".
You can call that lazy or not (I personally would not throw out that
term); it does happen.

The Python installer has a few specific people working on it, most of us
here aren't in a position to make changes to it - complaining here can
get sympathy, or not, but probably not action.  It does seem to work out
for a lot of people, so it's always a bit of a surprise when it doesn't.
  I'd say you ought to file an issue on it if it's broken for you - not
to say you haven't tried that already.