Fwd: Installation hell

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Mon Dec 19 17:01:28 EST 2022

On 12/19/2022 4:54 PM, Thomas Passin wrote:
> On 12/19/2022 3:34 PM, j wrote:
>> I was unclear. I use the full path to the folder with the unzipped
>> python-embedded. I shouldn't have said 'set'.
>>
>> I have complained on here before about broken installs but got
>> indifference. An installer should install stuff correctly (leaving a
>> working environment). If it won't then give clear instructions on how
>> to install manually then let us do it. A broken installer is like a
>> road that just runs out.
>
> Yes, I've had a few of those, just not with Python so far.  One problem
> with a list like this is that if other people don't have the problem or
> can't make it happen, then they don't have any suggestions based on
> personal experience.  So they can't be helpful.  In this issue, I'm in
> that category.
>
> In that situation, we (the list-people, I mean) need good information to
> have a chance of being helpful.  But I've observed that many requestors
> for help like this - especially installation issues - don't provide any
> useful particulars.  That makes it seem like they don't understand what
> they are doing, and folks would like them to do their homework and think
> about what it would take for other people to have a chance of helping.
>
> Would you try to cook a meal, and then say "I followed the recipe and it
> didn't work, please help"?  It's impossible.  But I've seen this kind of
> question over and over on this list.
>
> I did once have a Python installation problem.  The installed Python
> executable worked, but later I ran into some permissions problem.  I had
> installed for "everyone", so it installed into Program Files, and
> apparently somewhere along the way I had done something odd to the
> permissions for that directory.  I was never sure what.  I uninstalled,
> and since then I have always installed new versions for just one user
> (me). Never a problem since.
>
> I'm sorry to say that I have never tried an embedded install, and I
> don't know what's different about one.  Maybe I'll try one now, just to
> know.

FWIW, I once set up a Python installation so that it could run from a
USB stick (Windows only).  My launcher was a batch file that contained
the following:

@echo off
setlocal
: Find effective drive for this file.
set ed=%~d0
path %ed%\python37\Scripts;%ed%\python37;%PATH%
set PYTHONUSERBASE=%ed%\user\python
set HOME=%ed%\user\python
call python %*
endlocal

I suppose anyone trying to use an embedded version of Python would have
to set up some environmental variables in a similar way.  Note that I
used the "user" directory on the USB stick as a home directory for the
installation.