Persistent Error: Python was not found

Mike Dewhirst miked at dewhirst.com.au
Mon Aug 15 00:38:25 EDT 2022

Jonathan

This is what I would do ...

1.    Download Python from python.org not Microsoft

2.    Install as an expert or custom install to C:\Python310 rather than
C:\Program files

3.    Ignore this point - I was going to mention VirtualEnv which comes
later for software development and thereafter you don't need to put
Python on the Windows path. As I said, ignore this point.

4.    Add C:\Python310\Scripts to the path (system or user)

5.    Add C:\Python310 to the path after C:\Python310\Scripts

6.    Open a cmd prompt and enter python to prove it starts then quit.
Exit the cmd window

7.    Create a directory in the root of your user profile
(C:\Users\Jonathan ??) called pythontest

8.    Save 'print("hello world")' in a text file called hello.py in the
above directory

9.    Open a cmd prompt and type > python
C:\Users\Jonathan\pythontest\hello.py

Should work.

If you want to execute a python script without first opening a cmd
prompt, you need a bat file or shortcut which contains the command line
you want executed. Give that a double-click and it should also work.

If Python is on the path you don't need to specify where it is.

You do need to tell Python what you want it to execute.

It is possible that you can associate .py files with Python but that
would be a step too far for me.

Good luck

--
Signed email is an absolute defence against phishing. This email has
been signed with my private key. If you import my public key you can