XML Considered Harmful

Michael F. Stemper michael.stemper at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 11:45:17 EDT 2021

On 28/09/2021 02.25, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> On 2021-09-27 21:01:04 -0400, Avi Gross via Python-list wrote:
>> You keep talking about generators, though. If the generators are outside of
>> your program, then yes, you need to read in whatever they produce.
>
> As I understood it, the "generators" don't generate the data, they are
> the subject of the data: Devices that generate electricity by burning
> fuel and he's modelling some aspect of their operation. Maybe efficiency
> or power output or something like that (I tried to search for "IHR
> curve", but couldn't find anything).

If you expand "IHR curve" to "incremental heat rate curve", you'll get
better results. When power engineers talk, we say the first, when we
publish papers, we write the second.

If you want to see the bigger picture, search on "Economic Dispatch".
In fact, doing so points me to something written by a guy I worked with
back in the 1980s:
<http://www2.econ.iastate.edu/classes/econ458/tesfatsion/EconomicDispatchIntroToOptimization.DKirschen2004.LTEdits.pdf>

Slide 3 even shows a piecewise-linear curve.

--
Michael F. Stemper
A preposition is something you should never end a sentence with.