pyinstaller wrong classified as Windows virus

Ulli Horlacher framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Nov 26 02:13:30 EST 2021

Avi Gross <avigross at verizon.net> wrote:

> I am not sure what your real problem is, Ulli, but many antivirus programs
> can be TEMPORARILY shut off.

Meanwhile I found this configuration option.
But this does not help me much, because my programs must run on other
Windows PCs of other users and they cannot disable the default Windows
virus scanner.

I for myself does not use Windows at all, I just use it to compile my
programs.

> If one recognizes your code a potentially having a virus, it may be for an
> assortment of reasons such as a table it contains to look at position N in
> the executable for an exact match with some bit-string. If so, one potential
> fix is a slight change in the code that compiles a bit differently like
> x=sin(30) or other filler.

I do not know what and where the virus scanning is complaining about.
It simple says virus threat found and then it deletes my executables.
It is the default virus scanner of Windows 10, I have not installed any
additional software (besides Python and cygwin).

> But consider another possibility that your compiler software is compromised

Then https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.10.0/python-3.10.0-amd64.exe
is infected. I doubt this.

> Is this happening to only one set of code?

This is happening SOMETIMES, not always. With the SAME source code. When I
call pyinstaller often enough, then the virus scanner is quiet. In about 1
of 20 compile runs.

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum TIK
Universitaet Stuttgart         E-Mail: horlacher at tik.uni-stuttgart.de
Allmandring 30a                Tel:    ++49-711-68565868
70569 Stuttgart (Germany)      WWW:    http://www.tik.uni-stuttgart.de/