pyinstaller wrong classified as Windows virus

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 16:08:10 EST 2021

On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 7:53 AM Mats Wichmann <mats at wichmann.us> wrote:

> On 11/25/21 11:00, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
> > Can someone confirm that it's still possible to run the Python
> > installer without admin rights, for a per-user installation? It always
> > used to be possible, but I haven't checked.
>
> You only need admin rights for some special cases.  While Win7 was still
> supported, you needed to run the (included) installer for vcredist of a
> different version than the one that comes with Win7, and that needed
> admin rights (unfortunately, the Python installer didn't prompt for that
> and so the vcredist install failed silently, leaving a broken install if
> you didn't already have it from other means - but that's all in the past
> now).  It's possible you also need it for the Python Launcher, since
> that goes into a "system location" (not sure about that one).  And if
> you asked for an install for "all users" that requires admin rights.

That's what I thought, yeah. So even on a system you don't own, where
you're not allowed to get admin privileges, it should still be
possible to install Python just fine.

Would be worth testing (if someone has a fresh Windows system around)
to see if it's possible to set up the "double click on .py file to run
it" association without admin privileges. That's the only part that
might be a limitation.

ChrisA