pyinstaller wrong classified as Windows virus

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Thu Nov 25 15:52:06 EST 2021

On 11/25/21 11:00, Chris Angelico wrote:

> Can someone confirm that it's still possible to run the Python
> installer without admin rights, for a per-user installation? It always
> used to be possible, but I haven't checked.

You only need admin rights for some special cases.  While Win7 was still
supported, you needed to run the (included) installer for vcredist of a
different version than the one that comes with Win7, and that needed
admin rights (unfortunately, the Python installer didn't prompt for that
and so the vcredist install failed silently, leaving a broken install if
you didn't already have it from other means - but that's all in the past
now).  It's possible you also need it for the Python Launcher, since
that goes into a "system location" (not sure about that one).  And if
you asked for an install for "all users" that requires admin rights.