Horrible abuse of __init_subclass__, or elegant hack?

dn PythonList at DancesWithMice.info
Fri Apr 2 16:33:55 EDT 2021

On 02/04/2021 21.32, Alan Gauld via Python-list wrote:
> On 02/04/2021 00:42, dn via Python-list wrote:
>
>> Contrarily "tuck" in (old) English slang represented "sweets" (or
>
> Not that old. We still use it occasionally today. And we
> certainly had a "tuck shop" at school. It was where you
> bought lunch if not eating in the refectory. ie. sandwiches,
> crisps, pop etc. But its main sales were sweets including
> chocolate bars  (bringing us back to Cadbury :-)
>
> Unusually, our tuck shop was run by the student body. The
> school prefects were the operating committee and
> responsible for finding volunteers to staff it and
> order supplies and bank the proceeds 9with the school
> secretary)

Old? I suspect we need a veritable line of people holding up their hands
so that we can count on their fingers the number of years since we were
at our respective schools!

We did not have any choice of meals: one ate what was given - or did
not. (yes, that is in-itself a choice) Thus "tuck" was a cupboard/closet
from which we could purchase confectionery for pleasurable-eating.

Given that today we refer to such as 'junk foods', I have no need to
comment further on the (perceived) quality of our meals... although I
suspect one could/can only 'graduate' from such institutions after
putting-in considerable practise at varied complaints about the food -
or is that merely a tradition?

Once I had 'debugged' chocolate (and tested the range assiduously and
exhaustively), Bournville was the only Cadbury chocolate I would
consider. Today, even that seems to lack, er, chocolate, and has an
unsatisfactory after-taste.

Over here, Cadbury attempted to replace ingredients with Palm Oil. It
caused a minor-revolution. The result tasted ghastly and left a slick
and messy taste in one's mouth. Needless to say, whilst many were dumped
(in the harbor?) the company hurriedly reversed that decision.

However, (and ensuring Python remains within the subject of
conversation) it is worth noting that the Cadbury brothers had some
ideas about caring for workers/contributors in similar manner to PSF's
interests in egalitarianism and diversity - certainly a quality-of-life
beyond those of the often quoted 'advances' credited to Henry Ford.
https://www.cadbury.co.uk/about-bournville (maybe they are recognised in
British cf US management texts?)
--
Regards,