Why generate POP_TOP after an "import from?"

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 17:49:18 EDT 2020

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 7:40 AM Adam Preble <adam.preble at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 1:15:35 PM UTC-5, Alexandre Brault wrote:
> >  >>> def f():
> > ... â  â  from sys import path, argv ...
>
> So I figured it out and all but I wanted to ask about the special characters in that output. I've seen that a few times and never figured out what's going on and if I need to change how I'm reading these. Or say:
>
>  â â â â â â â â â â â â  12 STORE_FASTâ â â â â â â â â â â â â â  1 (argv
>
> I don't know if you're seeing all these letter a's. I'm guessing something goofy with Unicode spaces or something?

That looks like something got messed up between the various mailing
list and newsgroup gateways. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but
it's probably been converted into nonbreaking spaces, then encoded in
some way, and decoded incorrectly. I'm not sure WHAT the encodings in
question would be, but my best guess is that the nonbreaking spaces
were encoded UTF-8 (C2 A0), and then decoded in some eight-bit
encoding.

ChrisA