Helping Windows first time users

joseph pareti joepareti54 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 01:04:48 EDT 2020

FWIW, here is my experience on Windows 10.

I had some troubles with python on Windows 10. Most of the issues were
presumably due to having multiple python versions on the same PC, and also
relying on 'miniconda3' which was kind of inherited from an older
experiment.

At some point, to recover from a system crash I had to re-install Windows
10, and after that I installed the full suite of Anaconda products. Things
improved a lot. Besides Python and Jupyter notebook, i find Spyder very
useful as an IDE, and everything seems to be running smoothly. On top of
that I also installed PyTorch 1.4: I am currently training a neural network
which takes more than 20 hours. The only annoying thing was the
occasional automatic reboot during keyboard inactivity which I then
disabled at the "Windows Update" menu.