Helping Windows first time users

Barry Scott barry at barrys-emacs.org
Thu Apr 16 12:09:46 EDT 2020

> On 16 Apr 2020, at 04:34, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2020 19:23:43 +0100, Barry Scott <barry at barrys-emacs.org>
> declaimed the following:
>
>> I post some suggestion to improve the Python installer for Windows
>> to better sign post users on the next steps.
>>
>> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/TKHID7PMKN5TK5QDQ2BL3G45FYAJNYJX/
>>
>> It also seems like we could do with drafting the text of a helpful
>> reply to help the Windows first time users. This would help folks that
>> reply to the Windows first time users to have a quick way to reply
>> without drafting the text a reply every time.
>>
>> What are your thoughts on the installer changes and reply text?
>
> 	No other Windows installers that I know of provide information on how
> to use the installed application. Anyone installing software should realize
> that the installer file itself is just that, an installer, and not be used
> in attempts to run the installed application, they should look elsewhere
> for the application itself.

As I noted on the idea list the installer already has a wizard panel that provides
pointer. I'm suggesting that given the misunderstandings that text can be
improved in the hope that it helps.

Is it as simple as the other installers insist on littering my desktop with icons?
Is that the trick?

> 	I would also note that there are MANY Python installers for Windows:
> Python.org, ActiveState, Anaconda, Enthought, and even (for Win10) the M$
> "app store" has one. Are you proposing that all these sources need to make
> changes to their distributions?

If core dev's agree we can fix the python.org installers. Maybe other will follow
our lead if it helps.

Barry