What's wrong on using Popen's communicate method?

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 22:13:18 EDT 2019

On 7/6/19, jfong at ms4.hinet.net <jfong at ms4.hinet.net> wrote:

> According to the info you give, I have done the following steps:
> 1. Upgrade to SP2 first.
> 2. Install the CRT update.
> But the result is still the same, nothing happens after double click the
> file python-3.6.1.exe.

Did you reboot after installing the updates? Afterward, did you
confirm in the system properties that you're running SP2? Did you
check that "%SystemRoot%\System32\ucrtbase.dll" exists, plus a bunch
of "api-ms-win-crt-*.dll" DLLs in the same directory?

> I deeply appreciate your help. It looks like that Vista has to live with
> Python 3.4 for its rest of life:-)

That is not true in general for Vista. It's particular to your
computer. Check the installer logs in your %TEMP% directory for
errors, which will typically be an HRESULT error code that starts with
0x8, such as 0x80070002.

Try downloading and installing the 64-bit version:

https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.8/python-3.6.8-amd64.exe