What's wrong on using Popen's communicate method?

jfong at ms4.hinet.net jfong at ms4.hinet.net
Sat Jul 6 21:16:46 EDT 2019

eryk sun於 2019年7月6日星期六 UTC+8下午6時26分42秒寫道:
> On 7/6/19, jfong at ms4.hinet.net <jfong at ms4.hinet.net> wrote:
> > eryk sun於 2019年7月6日星期六 UTC+8下午2時13分23秒寫道:
> >
> >> Major versions of Python support Windows versions that have extended
> >> support from Microsoft at the time of the first release. For Vista,
> >> extended support ended on 2017-04-11. Python 3.6 was released on
> >> 2016-12-23, so it supports Vista. Python 3.7, on the other hand, does
> >> not because it was released on 2018-06-27.
> >
> > I tried the python-3.6.1.exe, downloaded from www.python.org. Its
> > release date is March 21, 2017. But it doesn't run, Vista has no response at
> > all.
>
> Starting with version 3.5, Python requires the Universal C Runtime,
> which is an OS component that was introduced in Windows 10 and
> backported to previous versions, including Windows Vista (service pack
> 2). Python's installer should attempt to install the CRT update, but
> from what I've seen this isn't reliable.
>
> Ideally, it shouldn't be necessary to manually install the CRT update
> since Windows Update includes it. Enable optional updates, and keep
> your system updated. That said, if you can't or won't use Windows
> Update, then you can download and install standalone updates.
>
> CRT Update
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3118401
>
> The above requires Vista service pack 2 (SP2). The system properties
> dialog should say whether SP1 or SP2 is installed. Your system should
> be running SP2 if Windows Update is enabled. If you're not even
> running SP1, you'll have to install SP1 and then SP2. The system
> properties dialog will tell you whether you're running 32-bit or
> 64-bit Windows.
>
> x86 32-bit SP1
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30
> x64 64-bit SP2
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21299
>
> x86 32-bit SP2
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16468
> x64 64-bit SP2
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17669

According to the info you give, I have done the following steps:
1. Upgrade to SP2 first.
2. Install the CRT update.
But the result is still the same, nothing happens after double click the file python-3.6.1.exe.

I deeply appreciate your help. It looks like that Vista has to live with Python 3.4 for its rest of life:-)

--Jach