What's wrong on using Popen's communicate method?

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 06:26:23 EDT 2019

On 7/6/19, jfong at ms4.hinet.net <jfong at ms4.hinet.net> wrote:
> eryk sun於 2019年7月6日星期六 UTC+8下午2時13分23秒寫道:
>
>> Major versions of Python support Windows versions that have extended
>> support from Microsoft at the time of the first release. For Vista,
>> extended support ended on 2017-04-11. Python 3.6 was released on
>> 2016-12-23, so it supports Vista. Python 3.7, on the other hand, does
>> not because it was released on 2018-06-27.
>
> I tried the python-3.6.1.exe, downloaded from www.python.org. Its
> release date is March 21, 2017. But it doesn't run, Vista has no response at
> all.

Starting with version 3.5, Python requires the Universal C Runtime,
which is an OS component that was introduced in Windows 10 and
backported to previous versions, including Windows Vista (service pack
2). Python's installer should attempt to install the CRT update, but
from what I've seen this isn't reliable.

Ideally, it shouldn't be necessary to manually install the CRT update
since Windows Update includes it. Enable optional updates, and keep
your system updated. That said, if you can't or won't use Windows
Update, then you can download and install standalone updates.

CRT Update
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3118401

The above requires Vista service pack 2 (SP2). The system properties
dialog should say whether SP1 or SP2 is installed. Your system should
be running SP2 if Windows Update is enabled. If you're not even
running SP1, you'll have to install SP1 and then SP2. The system
properties dialog will tell you whether you're running 32-bit or
64-bit Windows.

x86 32-bit SP1
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30
x64 64-bit SP2