python package management confusion

dieter dieter at handshake.de
Fri Jan 18 02:38:35 EST 2019

dcs3spp via Python-list <python-list at python.org> writes:
> How do I configure setuptools to pull my own private dependency package using virtualenv + python setup.py develop

You call "python setup.py develop" for your own package
(which the "python" from the virtualenv).

This makes your package (more precisely, the one whose "setup.py"
you have activated) available in the virtualenv.
The "making available" happens in a way, that Python is actually
using your package's source tree; thus, modifications in this
source tree are seen by Python (either the next "run" or via
"importlib.reload").