python package management confusion

dcs3spp simonppears at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 18 09:52:10 EST 2019

On Friday, 18 January 2019 07:39:00 UTC, dieter  wrote:
> dcs3spp via Python-list <python-list at python.org> writes:
> > How do I configure setuptools to pull my own private dependency package using virtualenv + python setup.py develop
>

> You call "python setup.py develop" for your own package
> (which the "python" from the virtualenv).
>
> This makes your package (more precisely, the one whose "setup.py"
> you have activated) available in the virtualenv.
> The "making available" happens in a way, that Python is actually
> using your package's source tree; thus, modifications in this
> source tree are seen by Python (either the next "run" or via
> "importlib.reload").

Thanks dieter I understand that is the case if I have one project and have tried it and that works fine.

My situation is similar to the following....

Assume the following two privately developed projects that I have written, each with their own setup.py:
1. parent exists in folder $HOME/project/
2. child exists in folder $HOME/a_different_project/
*child could be also be used by other projects in the future....

parent has a dependency requirement on child and so child is listed as an install dependency in parent setup.py

if I try python setup.py develop from parent project it fails to find child dependency on build.

I have created a github project to illustrate the scenario @

https://github.com/dcs3spp/setuptools_dependency_example