The following modules appear to be missing ['_sysconfigdata']

dude.jimbo at gmail.com dude.jimbo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 05:38:16 EST 2019

Hello,

first time using python groups (and long time since using any other group for that matter). This might not be the right group due to wx being involved.

Long story as short as possible. I have an old python script that I did ~10 years ago, and have forgotten basically everything about Python since then (sorry!). Converted it to EXE way back when, and have kept using the EXE ever since then (on XP, and on Win7).

I've just gotten a new PC, Windows10 (!), needed to update the script, so needed to recompile the EXE, and now it no longer compiles/works. It was fine on Windows7 (I'm not specifically stating that the problem is with windows10 - I simply don't remember all the hoops I jumped through on my previous machine).

Here is the compile error:
The following modules appear to be missing
['_sysconfigdata']

And here is the runtime error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "AutoArchive.py", line 3, in <module>
  File "wx\__init__.pyc", line 45, in <module>
  File "wx\_core.pyc", line 4, in <module>
  File "wx\_core_.pyc", line 12, in <module>
  File "wx\_core_.pyc", line 10, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

Here is how I compile: python setup.py py2exe

And this is my setup.py:
from distutils.core import setup
import py2exe

setup(console=['AutoArchive.py'])

Yes, that says 'console' for a Windows EXE, but swapping it to 'window' didn't help. Besides which, the setup.py file is straight from the old computer, so 'it used to work'.

What I have installed:
. python 2.7.13 (this in itself may be a problem - I don't even remember which version I was using earlier, other than knowing for sure it wasn't a 3.x release)
. wxpython  (since I also got an error that wx module was missing - that rang some bells, since the script uses a Windows pop-up window to inform me about its progress, and I remember using wx for that, so I installed it, but don't know how to get its' version. using "python -c "import wx;print wx.__version__" just gives runtime errors).

Any help would be appreciated.

And yes, I googled, but can't really find anything (well, d'Uh!, I wouldn’t be here then would I?) - there's ~some~ references, but usually it's about similar issues on Linux, with solutions that are not applicable at all. Except one I thought: I found some link stating that _sysconfigdata is part of sysconfig, and that this needed to be installed with pip, so I used the pip that came with my python distro and did 'pip install [[_]sys]config[data]' (all possible combo's) but pip claims it can't find said module, and TBH, I can't seem to find anything myself about said module.

Thx,
Jimbo