"Don't install on the system Python"

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Sun Dec 1 03:41:37 EST 2019

On 01Dec2019 09:29, Manfred Lotz <ml_news at posteo.de> wrote:
>On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 20:42:21 -0800 (PST)
>John Ladasky <john_ladasky at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> For years, I've read warnings about not installing one's personal
>> stack of Python modules on top of the system Python.  It is possible
>> to corrupt the OS, or so I've gathered.
>
>This is nonsense as you presumably have no permission to change
>anything Python related in /usr.
>
>The only possiblity I can imagine is that you somehow screw up your
>personal Python related setting in your home directory tree. But I have
>never (in the short period of time I've been using Python) encountered
>anything like this.

What is to be avoided: Some people run pip as root and install in the
vendor/supplier controlled space.  This can lead to various problems, as
it can conflict with or simply vary the system installed packages.

Provided the OP is using pip in its (modern default) "install in my home
directory" mode, they should be fine.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>