"Don't install on the system Python"

John Ladasky john_ladasky at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 1 04:33:50 EST 2019

On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 12:47:43 AM UTC-8, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 01Dec2019 09:29, Manfred Lotz <... at posteo.de> wrote:
> >On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 20:42:21 -0800 (PST)
> >John Ladasky <... at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >> For years, I've read warnings about not installing one's personal
> >> stack of Python modules on top of the system Python.  It is possible
> >> to corrupt the OS, or so I've gathered.
> >
> >This is nonsense as you presumably have no permission to change
> >anything Python related in /usr.
> >
> >The only possiblity I can imagine is that you somehow screw up your
> >personal Python related setting in your home directory tree. But I have
> >never (in the short period of time I've been using Python) encountered
> >anything like this.
>
> What is to be avoided: Some people run pip as root and install in the
> vendor/supplier controlled space.  This can lead to various problems, as
> it can conflict with or simply vary the system installed packages.
>
> Provided the OP is using pip in its (modern default) "install in my home
> directory" mode, they should be fine.
>
> Cheers,
> Cameron Simpson <... at cskk.id.au>

The only thing I must install with pip is tensorflow-gpu.  For everything else, I make use of the Ubuntu repositories.  The Synaptic package manager installs packages (including Python modules) for all user accounts at the same time, which I like.

When I installed tensorflow-gpu using pip, I was in fact frustrated because I couldn't figure out how to deploy it across multiple user accounts at one time.  I ended up installing it three times, once in each account.  You're suggesting that's actually preferred, at least when pip is performing the installation.  OK, I will endure the repetition.