Multiple problems with Python 3.7 under Windows 7 Home Premium

Thomas Jollans tjol at tjol.eu
Fri Sep 21 17:56:10 EDT 2018

On 21/09/2018 15:22, Spencer Graves wrote:
> WEBINSTALL.EXE:
>
>  [...]

Whatever, you managed to install Python, and it works, so everybody's
happy, right?

> PYTHON - M PIP INSTALL PYAUDIO
>

>        "python -m pip install pyaudio" stopped with 'error: Microsoft
> visual C++14.0 is required.  Get it with "Microsoft Visual C++ Build
> Tools": http://landinghub.visualstudio.com/visual-cpp-build-tools".
>

>        That web address "http://landinghub..." gave "404 NOT FOUND".
> However, I found elsewhere Microsoft Visual C++ Build Tools" and seemed
> to get them installed.

Well done!

>        Then "python -m pip install pyaudio" stopped with "error: command
> 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\\BuildTools\\VC\\Tools\\MSVC\\14.15.26726\\bin\\HostX86\\x64\\c1.exe'
> failed with exit status 2".

Okay, I get the feeling that installing pyaudio from source on Windows
is quite involved. The lines of output before that would likely tell you
more about what actually went wrong, but my guess is that due to
dependencies you actually can't install pyaudio from source using pip on
Windows at all. (You should be able to install it from a downloaded copy
of the source, though. If you really want to go that route, I found
this:
https://smaudet.wordpress.com/2014/01/26/building-pyaudio-on-windows-7-x64-using-the-free-msvc-toolchains/)

There appear to be pyaudio binaries for Python 3.6 on PyPI. The simplest
solution to your problem would be to stick with Python 3.6 for now (as
much as I hate to say it) - then you shouldn't need to faff around with
C++ compilers.

> GCCWINBINARIES

Yeah, you won't need these. Google led you down the garden path.

(actually, I don't think anybody really needs these any more, do they?)

> WINDOWS APP CERTIFICATION KIT
>

>        Somehow, I got a notice to try "Windows App Certification Kit
> 10.0.17134.12".

What? Why? What is this? I don't even.

Cheers
Thomas