Multiple problems with Python 3.7 under Windows 7 Home Premium

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at effectivedefense.org
Fri Sep 21 09:22:35 EDT 2018

Hello:

       I'm having a series of problems getting Python 3.7 to work on a
machine running Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1.

WEBINSTALL.EXE:

       "python-3.7.0-amd64-webinstall.exe" stopped seemingly before it
started.  I can try it again and give you a more precise error message
if you want, but I want to describe some of the other problems I've had
first.

       "python-3.7.0-amd64.exe" acted like it installed properly, until
I started using it.  IDLE seemed to work for me on some simple tasks,
but I wanted to try PyAudio, and I've so far not been able to make that
work.

PYTHON - M PIP INSTALL PYAUDIO

       "python -m pip install pyaudio" stopped with 'error: Microsoft
visual C++14.0 is required.  Get it with "Microsoft Visual C++ Build
Tools": http://landinghub.visualstudio.com/visual-cpp-build-tools".

       That web address "http://landinghub..." gave "404 NOT FOUND".
However, I found elsewhere Microsoft Visual C++ Build Tools" and seemed
to get them installed.

       Then "python -m pip install pyaudio" stopped with "error: command
'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual
Studio\\BuildTools\\VC\\Tools\\MSVC\\14.15.26726\\bin\\HostX86\\x64\\c1.exe'
failed with exit status 2".

GCCWINBINARIES

       Searching for "... exit status 2" led me to a suggestion to use
"https://github.com/develersrl/gccwinbinaries".  That failed with "No
Python installation found in the registried.  It won't be possible to
install the bindings."

WINDOWS APP CERTIFICATION KIT

       Somehow, I got a notice to try "Windows App Certification Kit
10.0.17134.12".  I tried that with "program installer:
python-3.7.0-amd64.exe" and "command:  python".  This moved along, then
generated a popup saying "Modify setup", then stopped.  After waiting
about 12 minutes, I clicked the "x" in the upper right. Then it moved
again for a time until what looked like the same popup appeared during
"Installed programs / In progress ...".  After clicking "x" in the upper
right, I got, "Testing cannot continue unless an application is
successfully installed, including a discoverable shortcut and an entry
in add / remove programs."

       I repeated "Windows App Certification Kit", except that this time
when the "Modify setup" window appeared, I clicked "repair". It came to
that same point and gave the same error.

       Suggestion?
       Thanks,
       Spencer