"Data blocks" syntax specification draft

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Sun May 20 20:02:21 EDT 2018

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 4:28 PM, Mikhail V <mikhailwas at gmail.com> wrote:
> "Markdown" is too vague - there dozens of markdown styles and
> also they include subsets of HTML. It is just plain text with tags

The whole point of Markdown is that it's readable as plain text
precisely because it *doesn't* use obvious tags like HTML.

> it cannot represent syntax in civilized form (unless I embed images
> for every source example - but then it is too inconvenient for editing).

Why would you need images to represent syntax? What's wrong with code blocks?

> Source examples on Github will force a crappy font and replace tabs.

Has it occurred to you that this will also be a problem for anybody
else trying to create examples using this syntax on Github?

> I suggest you just view HTML or PDF - it looks better and if you need
> source - just download TXT - it has tabs preserved at least.

You know, if you're serious about this proposal, then eventually you
will have to write a PEP for it. And that PEP has a required style and
format. And that format is reStructuredText.