"Data blocks" syntax specification draft

Mikhail V mikhailwas at gmail.com
Sun May 20 23:32:55 EDT 2018

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 3:02 AM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 4:28 PM, Mikhail V <mikhailwas at gmail.com> wrote:
>> "Markdown" is too vague - there dozens of markdown styles and
>> also they include subsets of HTML. It is just plain text with tags
>
> The whole point of Markdown is that it's readable as plain text
> precisely because it *doesn't* use obvious tags like HTML.
>
>> it cannot represent syntax in civilized form (unless I embed images
>> for every source example - but then it is too inconvenient for editing).
>
> Why would you need images to represent syntax? What's wrong with code blocks?

Code blocks where? In what software/webkit it is supposed to be
rendered?
How do you imagine a serious proposal with such syntax comparisons
without ability to make more or less precise presentation in various
fonts?
To speak about significant syntax change seriously you need many samples
in at least 2-3 modern quality fonts. Modulo a pair of reasonable color schemes.
Modern editors (and users) are far beyond type-writer fonts.

>> I suggest you just view HTML or PDF - it looks better and if you need
>> source - just download TXT - it has tabs preserved at least.
>
> You know, if you're serious about this proposal, then eventually you
> will have to write a PEP for it. And that PEP has a required style and
> format. And that format is reStructuredText.

Making reStructuredText is not a problem, but as said - it is not
serious to speak of syntax without good samples. IOW besides a
Markdown PEP such proposal requires a lot of supplementary material.
The best method is to create images of code snippets in addition to
text. Main advantage of images that it will be independent of browser/OS
but it requires some extra job.