Python Developer Survey: Python 3 usage overtakes Python 2 usage

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Mar 31 21:16:17 EDT 2018

On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 10:58:51 -0400, Etienne Robillard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering, could the fact that the Python community is
> willing to discontinue using and developing Python 2 softwares, does
> that mean we are stopping to support standard computers and laptops as
> well?

That seems to be a strange question to ask, when servers and desktops are
the primary focus of Python 3.

> Furthermore, does it bother you to develop code primarly oriented
> towards mobile devices in Python 3 while most of the world still cannot
> afford theses expensive products?

It doesn't bother me one bit, because I don't do it. Nor is Python mainly
oriented towards mobile devices. In fact, getting Python working on
mobile devices is still a bit of a challenge.

--
Steve