Python Developer Survey: Python 3 usage overtakes Python 2 usage

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 22:43:28 EDT 2018

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 7:10 PM, Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 7:44:40 PM UTC-5, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> [...]
>> Reddit's /ruby subreddit: 40,571 subscribers.
>>
>> Reddit's /python subreddit: 230,858 subscribers.
>
> Those numbers mean nothing unless you can prove all two-
> hundred-thirty-odd thousand of them to be active, non-
> tolling, non-socking, non-spaming accounts.
>
> Sure, i can imagine Python-list has an impressively large
> number of registered users, however, on a daily basis there
> are only 3-5 on-topic threads. And of those, the majority of
> the posts are send by a hanful of regulars.
>
> IOWs: these "membership numbers" are not true metrics.
>
> I'd wager to say that only a couple hundred accounts out of
> that 230,000 are active and legit python programmers (if
> that).

How about this: at the time of posting, /r/ruby has 69 users here
"now", which Reddit defines as having viewed the subreddit within the
past 15 minutes. /r/python has 509 users here "now".

Scale up to 30DA users and I"m sure the numbers look much larger than
that for each.

You really think that 90% of the active users are trolls? And yet the
subreddit remains usable despite that allegedly terrible
signal-to-noise ratio.

Be realistic, dude.