Python Developer Survey: Python 3 usage overtakes Python 2 usage

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Mar 31 21:23:23 EDT 2018

On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 14:07:37 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:

> On 3/31/2018 11:58 AM, Etienne Robillard wrote:
>
>> Do you really think people in Somalia can afford theses things like in
>> the US?
>
> No, many cannot afford $600 Caddilac-style phones to take 10 megapixel
> pictures and watch UTube videos.  Instead they buy $100 VWBug-style
> phones that let them get competitive prices for their crops and other
> goods instead of accepting low-ball bids from whoever wanders by their
> village.
>
> Africans are ahead of at least the US in using phone minutes as a benign
> practical digital currency.  This, not destructive and useless bitcoins,
> are the real revolution.

What Terry said.

Personally, I dislike smartphones, but I have to say that they way they
are used in villages across India, Africa and other developing places has
been far more of a benign revolution than what smartphones are doing to
the West.

None of this has anything to do with Python though. Python is not
primarily a device for development on mobile devices, it is not dropping
support for laptops, desktops and servers, and Etienne's questions are
based on utterly false premises.

--
Steve