Python Developer Survey: Python 3 usage overtakes Python 2 usage

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 21:10:45 EDT 2018

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 7:44:40 PM UTC-5, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
[...]
> Reddit's /ruby subreddit: 40,571 subscribers.
>
> Reddit's /python subreddit: 230,858 subscribers.

Those numbers mean nothing unless you can prove all two-
hundred-thirty-odd thousand of them to be active, non-
tolling, non-socking, non-spaming accounts.

Sure, i can imagine Python-list has an impressively large
number of registered users, however, on a daily basis there
are only 3-5 on-topic threads. And of those, the majority of
the posts are send by a hanful of regulars.

IOWs: these "membership numbers" are not true metrics.

I'd wager to say that only a couple hundred accounts out of
that 230,000 are active and legit python programmers (if
that).

Be realistic dude.