Python Developer Survey: Python 3 usage overtakes Python 2 usage

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Mar 30 20:42:01 EDT 2018

On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 16:18:57 -0700, Rick Johnson wrote:

> My suspicion is that not only are the overall numbers of Python
> programmers on the decline

Python's popularity went up from #5 to #4 between March 2017 and 2018 on
TIOBE: https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

But of course Rick knows this, and ignores it:

> i pay absolutely zero attention to the TIOBI index

Python's popularity on StackOverflow is also rapidly rising:

https://stackoverflow.blog/2017/09/06/incredible-growth-python/

and according to the article:

"With a 27% year-over year-growth rate, Python stands alone as a tag that
is *both large and growing rapidly*" (emphasis in the original).

Measuring popularity by google searches not only puts Python at #2
(behind only Java) but also the most rapidly increasing language:

https://pypl.github.io/PYPL.html

(trend of +5.4% since March 2017 -- the next highest were Typescript and
R at +0.4% each). Over the last five years, Python's popularity has grown
the most (12.5%).

RedMonk finds Python at #3 in the first quarter of 2018:

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2018/03/07/language-rankings-1-18/

This blog post is a few years ago, but it helps show the incredible
success of Python, not just among students, but also professionals:

https://thenewstack.io/popularity-python-java-world/

Reddit's /ruby subreddit: 40,571 subscribers.

Reddit's /python subreddit: 230,858 subscribers.

Yeah, it's clear that Python is in deep, deep trouble. /sarcasm

--
Steve