Python Developer Survey: Python 3 usage overtakes Python 2 usage

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 21:59:01 EDT 2018

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 12:10 PM, Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 7:44:40 PM UTC-5, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> [...]
>> Reddit's /ruby subreddit: 40,571 subscribers.
>>
>> Reddit's /python subreddit: 230,858 subscribers.
>
> Those numbers mean nothing unless you can prove all two-
> hundred-thirty-odd thousand of them to be active, non-
> tolling, non-socking, non-spaming accounts.
>
> Sure, i can imagine Python-list has an impressively large
> number of registered users, however, on a daily basis there
> are only 3-5 on-topic threads. And of those, the majority of
> the posts are send by a hanful of regulars.
>
> IOWs: these "membership numbers" are not true metrics.
>
> I'd wager to say that only a couple hundred accounts out of
> that 230,000 are active and legit python programmers (if
> that).
>
> Be realistic dude.

You can pooh-pooh any statistic. So far, though, you have provided NO
statistics of your own, just your own gut feeling. Wanna provide some
competing information showing that other languages are more used? No?
Awwww what a terrible pity. I guess it's your gut against lots and
lots of people's real information.

ChrisA