please test the new PyPI (now in beta)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 05:48:15 EDT 2018

On 27 March 2018 at 09:35, Steven D'Aprano
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 18:16:26 -0400, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
>
>> The new Python Package Index at https://pypi.org is now in beta.
>>
>> This means the site is robust, but we anticipate needing more user
>> testing and changes before it is "production-ready" and can fully
>> replace https://pypi.python.org . We hope to complete the transition
>> before the end of April 2018.
>
> Ah, excellent, we can finally get rid of the unending nightmare that was
> the nice, clean, readable PyPI design and replace it with something full
> of unnecessary swaths of bold colours and low-contrast light-blue text on
> blue background. Yay!
>
> By the way, on the search page:
>
> https://pypi.org/search/
>

> it says "Enter a search query above, or select a filter from the list of
> classifiers on the left" but there is no such filter or list of
> classifiers.

Do you not get the section

"""

Filter Projects

By Programming Language
By License
By Framework
"""

on the left of the page? Or is it just that it's not clear that this
is what's meant by "the list of classifiers"? It did take me a moment
to realise that "classifiers" meant this - maybe a less technical
term[1] like "filters" would help here? You could raise an issue on
https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues if you think it's worth
changing. (Same is true of your comment about the site design,
although I suspect it's a bit late for that to be changed in the
immediate future - the site design has been basically unchanged since
very early in the redesign. Personally, I agree it's a bit "in your
face", but not bad enough that I felt it was worth flagging as an
issue).

Paul

[1] "Classifiers" is what the relevant package metadata is called, but
it's not exactly what the average user would refer to that data as.