Posting warning message

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Jun 13 11:55:16 EDT 2018

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 14:30:05 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

[...]
> You refer to "this forum" as if you think it's some centrally controlled
> web application.  It's not.  It's a Usenet group gatewayed to a mailing
> list gatewayed to an archive/nntp server at gmane.org. Google then
> duct-taped the atrocity that is Google Groops onto the side of the
> Usenet group.
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_mailing_list
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Groups
>
> IOW, there is no such think as "this forum".

Your description of the various technologies involved may be correct
(although you've missed at least one: gmane) but there certainly is such
a thing as "this forum".

"This forum" is an abstraction of the community and technologies (note
plural) we are using (comp.lang.python/pythonlist at python.org/whatever
Google Groups calls it) from *other* forums like python-dev mailing list,
Stackoverflow, #python on Freenode, the various Python-related sub-
reddits, etc.

A forum is not necessarily a single piece of technology controlled at a
single point. Like the internet itself, forums can be decentralised and
running on multiple diverse technologies.

> If you want whatever user interface you're using to send postings to
> hold onto them for 15 minutes to allow you a second chance to edit them,
> then you need to talk to whoever maintains the user interface that you
> use to send messages to the Usetnet group or mailing list.

Indeed. The "I've changed my mind, don't send that message" function
depends on the technology you use to communicate with the forum, not the
forum.

--
Steven D'Aprano
it everywhere." -- Jon Ronson