Posting warning message

Tamara Berger brgrt2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 00:41:26 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 7:50 PM Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au> wrote:

> >> Nope. And you can't delete it either.
> >
> >I deleted them a number of time, then got a bar across the page indicating
> >that a post had been deleted.
>
> As has been mentioned, any "delete" you do on Google Groups is pretty limited,
> possibly only to Google's copy. The message has already gone planetwide.
>
> Google's delete _may_ propagate to the rest of usenet, and _may_ be obeyed in
> some of those places. But it certainly doesn't propagate to the mailing list,
> and even if it did, those of use who pull the list down to our personal mail
> folders would ignore such a thing.
>
> >It's nuts that you can't edit your own post.
>
> No, it is actually good:
>
> - there's not one copy of your post that google can modify: it gets copied
>   planet wide, to thousands or millions of independent places
>
> - how do people discover that you've modified a post, to review your change?
>   how do their replies before your modification make any kind of sense if the
>   preceeding message is no longer what they replied to?

I  just meant edit within the moment or two after you've posted a
message. I think a good feature in this forum would allow posters to
edit their messages in just that way. I have such a feature enabled in
gmail. I can "undo" my action for 30 seconds after I've clicked on
"send."

> The correct way to correct a post is to follow up to it (reply to it) with a
> correction or clarification. That way everyone sees the change/fix as a new
> messge. And it works even though the messages get copied everywhere, because
> all that has to happen is to copy your own new message.

Got it.

Thanks,

Tamara