Posting warning message

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Tue Jun 12 19:50:45 EDT 2018

On 12Jun2018 07:48, Tamara Berger <brgrt2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 10:27:06 AM UTC-4, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 12:17 AM, T Berger <brgrt2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Sorry, to bother you again. But is there some way to edit a message once
>> > its posted? Or do I have to delete it and rewrite it?
>>
>> Nope. And you can't delete it either.
>
>I deleted them a number of time, then got a bar across the page indicating
>that a post had been deleted.

As has been mentioned, any "delete" you do on Google Groups is pretty limited,
possibly only to Google's copy. The message has already gone planetwide.

Google's delete _may_ propagate to the rest of usenet, and _may_ be obeyed in
some of those places. But it certainly doesn't propagate to the mailing list,
and even if it did, those of use who pull the list down to our personal mail
folders would ignore such a thing.

>It's nuts that you can't edit your own post.

No, it is actually good:

- there's not one copy of your post that google can modify: it gets copied
  planet wide, to thousands or millions of independent places

- how do people discover that you've modified a post, to review your change?
  how do their replies before your modification make any kind of sense if the
  preceeding message is no longer what they replied to?

The correct way to correct a post is to follow up to it (reply to it) with a
correction or clarification. That way everyone sees the change/fix as a new
messge. And it works even though the messages get copied everywhere, because
all that has to happen is to copy your own new message.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>